Friday, November 6, 2009

Brahms and stuff

Here is another beautiful song I've come across. Listen.




A friend gave it to me. Don't tell them I gave it to you, its a secret. Shhhh, its a secret. The thing I like about this song is the first 30 seconds. The violin is simply gorgeous the first few times you listen to it. And its Yitzahk Perlman, the most famousest violinist in all of the world playing on his 200+ year old, 1.5 million dollar Strativarius, so of course its overwhelming in both tone and musicianship. And then you slowly realize that really this song, for me anyway, is all about that really tender and seemingly unnoticeable (at the beginning anyway) piano accompaniment underneath that supports it. And for brief moments the piano even gets the spotlight and even the melody, but its still a Violin Sonata. But, this piece is really about the piano, for me anyway. Isn't that how life is sometimes? Its not the things that are out front and obvious that are the most beautiful, but the subtle things you only notice a while later, when its still... and you can really listen. Like Mother Theresa and Marjorie Hinckley or that nurse at the hospital that just keeps working and smiling and nobody ever notices. Or.. well.. even Home teachers or people who spend all morning making Christmas Ornaments for Relief Society? I mean, The Apostles are great, but its all us normal kids who really get the Lion's share of the work done. Well, nurse at the hospital, Daniel Barenboim and all us normal kids, I noticed and thank you. Also, I think that's why I love music so very much. It really is inherently an unselfish endeavor. Its written to be played... by people, and heard... by people, its a sort of communion. And all are uplifted.

Also, I'd just like to say that when I watch football, I like to watch the big guys up front blocking, because that ball ain't going nowhere without 'em.

1 comment:

jade said...

give me your brahms, fool!









ps i don't think you're a fool. far from it actually.