Sunday, November 15, 2009

The OED

I personally consider the Oxford English Dictionary the definitive authority on all things etymological and whatnot. I dread the day I will no longer be able to access it through the library website of my Alma Mater.

http://dictionary.oed.com.erl.lib.byu.edu/entrance.dtl

Even when going through the HBLL, it still requires a BYU log in.

Sometimes, I imagine that this access may be a lifelong perk (from perquisite, the "perk" shortening of the word is first found used in 1869by J. Greenwood in Seven Curses London) of my attendance at BYU. Those sometimes are happy sometimes.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

I have a compact OED that I got many years ago when I joined the Book-of-the-Month club. It has its own magnifying glass because the type is so damn tiny. This was before there was an internet, although I used to haunt the OED shelves at the Marriott Library. The actual, not the virtual, shelves. The actual, not the virtual, books.