Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Some Movies

I saw Where The Wild Things Are and The Boys Are Back in the last few days.

First, I want to say that I think its not okay to judge a film adaptation by how it compares to the book. Films aren't books and when one is based on another the second one is usually not as good a work of art as the first. I think that's because when filmmakers decide to adapt a book into a film, they typically pick from among the best (and why wouldn't they? Who'd want to adapt an awful book?) and so they are starting at a disadvantage. I wonder if this makes any sense.

Second, I want to say that I thought a few similarities in the films were interesting. Where the Wild Things Are is confusing some people because the book is for four year olds, but the film is for adults. Mostly the movie is about relationships and how we are all super insecure and sad and ofttimes act like children.I read one critic who said he was annoyed because all of the Wild Things seemed to be completely emotionally dysfunctional and damaged beyond repair. I think that in reality everybody acts like that to some degree or another because we have all been terribly hurt, let down and damaged. Each one of those wild things was just a different insecure aspect of people Max interacts with or himself.

I thought the most interesting thing about The Boys Are Back was when the children and adults acted, respectively, like adults and children. Clive Owen sure was great, especially that scene where he nearly breaks down and then holds it back in. I think we have all probably done that at times.

Jade, its good. Go see it.

That movie made me think of something else. I know nothing of women except that they are the same as girls, just older. The same goes for men and boys. And, I was thinking its very funny how boys (and men) really just like fighting, dirt, stinkiness and slimey things. That seemingly will disgust some women, but, ladies, its a good thing we like all of those things because it's what makes us like you because it's what you're made of. That's not an insult. Remember? We like that stuff.

Lastly, I would like it noted on the public record that I fully intend to raise my boys as though they are the Lost Boys, I am Peter Pan and my wife is Wendy. So, there is that. Future wife you have been warned.

1 comment:

Elisa said...

Clan of the Cave Bear was a terrible book which was made into a terrible movie. Just saying.

Can I be on your blogroll?