Saturday, January 9, 2010

...full of hollow on old Maxwell's Street

Home is weird. I was driving home and listening to the radio and I heard this


and as I heard the words, "I hope my pony knows the way back home" all I could think about was how the home I was driving to was so different then it used to be. It actually doesn't exist anymore. I think that is the shocking part of growing up, the realization that home is gone, that there is nothing beneath you to catch you.
So, anyway, I was thinking about that idea and that song and I was reminded of a situation I was once in that was so terrifying that the only thing I could think of was wanting to be home. I literally kept repeating the words, "I just wanna be home," in my head. At one point I must have said it out loud because my friend made some joke about how we were old enough to know that our "homes" didn't exist anymore. But the funny thing was that when I said "Home," I sincerely meant a heavenly one. Everything had been stripped from me but that belief and at their barest, my bones could only believe in that. When I got out of that situation I remember being quite startled as to how deeply that belief ran.

2 comments:

Little Lisa said...

Even though I like her cover, how DARE she cover Tom Waits.

Your dad doesn't like Tom Waits.

Unknown said...

Almost every day I find myself thinking those words, "I want to go home." At some point I realized it didn't even necessarily need to be my home, just a place with a bed and the internet. Now though, I want it to be a real home. A heavenly.