Tuesday, January 26, 2010

not such happy times

I wanna make sure I've been clear about something.  Happy Times is a very good movie, but please do not watch it.  I made a joke at the beginning of the film, when it was funny, about how everybody would probably get cancer in the end and die.  If that had happened, the film would have been much, much happier.  Imagine the simplest and saddest thing happening to the most helpless type of person and you might be able to imagine how sad that film is.  Don't watch it, please.

As I am thinking about this, I am trying to analyze why it was so sad.  I think it is because being alone is the absolute saddest thing that can happen to a human being.  Really, think about it, that's what hell is.  And being alone is the absolute antithesis of Heaven.  Some people are okay with being alone, but the truth is, we can't be fulfilled alone.  Also, we can't be saved by ourselves.  It's a good thing I had a good friend with me when I watched that movie, otherwise I don't think I would have made it out of there.

7 comments:

Lisa B. said...

David b., you may need to go see The Fantastic Mr. Fox again. And possibly again and again.

I have to gear up for movies that are going to make me unbearably sad. Like, I'm pretty sure I can't see that Dardennes bros. movie about when they sell the baby. I just couldn't take it. I. Just. Couldn't.

Be careful with yourself. Sad movies require fortification.

Starman said...

Lisa B., you are certainly right. The only question left is 5:20pm at the Provo Movies 8 or the 7pm at the theater in American Fork? Have you ever been to that dollar theater in American Fork? It's kind of amazing.

Little Lisa said...

I'm going to the dollar theater in AF tonight, at 7, to see that fox movie or whatever it's called.

Wouldn't it be nice if you randomly showed up?

Starman said...

The Lisas were right. That was precisely what I needed.

whitney said...

Don't you have to be alone in Heaven, too? I mean, those other two stages of Heaven where you're not allowed to be with your family? That's harsh, man.

Starman said...

Whitney, You should know that Hell is other people but Heaven is too, but I think it all has to do with how long our forks are and stuff. I hope you've heard that silly story about long forks in heaven and hell, otherwise this wont make any sense.

Unknown said...

"...being alone is the absolute saddest thing that can happen to a human being."

Amen and amen.