Thursday, January 21, 2010

a man's world

Just in case anybody wondered, Garance Doré is quite a bit better of a photographer and writer than her male counterpart. But nobody pays her nearly as much attention.

Also, Nicole Krauss is quite a bit better of a novelist than her male counterpart. But, he seems to be everyone's focus.

It's a man's world.


P.S. There are still many days I wake up and the first thing I think about is The History of Love, which I honestly think I could never read again. It's just too emotional.

P.P.S. Remember in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close when the grandmother says, "I hope you never love anything as much as I love you," to her grandson? I remember that part. The implications there are obvious... well obvious to me. I think its safe to say that loving something in spite of the fear of pain that come from losing that something is always the right thing to do. Often, I'm terrified to love my children, my family and even my friends, but it won't stop me.

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I *like* reading both Garance and Scott, but I'm not sure either one of them is a great writer. And wouldn't you say that their styles are so different that it's hard to say one is better? I love the quality of the gaze of the Sartorialist's subjects as they look at his camera. It feels very still.

Unknown said...

I just reread the History of Love. I needed to, even though it hurt the same amount that it healed.