Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Old bottles

I can't think of a part in the Old Testament, or even the scriptures which I love more; which is more tender.

  "...Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:  Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me."

     Some of Christ's feelings in the New Testament are, obviously, very tender and moving (I'm thinking of his reaction to the death of Lazarus and his friends pain at that death) but for some reason the above passage is particularly striking to me specifically it isn't coming from the Savior.  It's coming from just a normal human being who had figured out what it means to love.  I think she had that higher law stuff down a few centuries early.

No comments: