Thursday, September 24, 2009

Back to Basics

Was the original Amoeba music in Berkeley? I guess I always assumed it was in Los Angeles. It seems like anytime a question is raised regarding origins of things and Los Angeles is one of the multiple choice answers you can just cross it off. That place only re-does things. That would be awesome if that type of question came up on a test because you could immediately eliminate "Los Angeles" and “C,” because, as everybody knows, the answer is very rarely “C.” It used to be that the answer was most frequently “C,” its some sort of statistical/psychological thing having to do with the types of parents who raise people who go to test-making college. But the test writers found out we were on to them and now its almost never “C.” I wonder if they are onto us again and would switch it back. These things are unknowable.

I feel like I’ve needed a haircut for at least a week. I think maybe I should grow it out all crazy! Or cut it off all crazy!

Also, I’ve gotten away from the original purpose of this thing, which was to simply show things I thought were beautiful. My wanderly writings shall be placed back elsewhere.
Here is something I don’t think many of you will see, but if I was being interviewed and the interviewee asked me to tell about the most amazing natural phenomenon I had ever seen and I still hadn’t been to space or seen the Aurora Borealis (I’ve insisted on calling them by their proper name since I found out about them in Mrs. Helt’s Kindergarten Class), I would definitely say, it was the time I saw a Bioluminescent Algea Blume (AKA "Red Tide") in Encinitas.

It is very close to the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. That color is very rare. I wonder if that's why its so beautiful. These videos and photos don't do it justice and when I saw it, it was more green than here. I have always had a hunch that, despite what SCIENCE! says, the ocean is actually the same thing as the sky, and that when you look out there at the horizon, if you look really hard you can see where it flips over, turns around and then comes back to us. I think that the Aurora Borealis and the Red Tide are actually the same thing, just upside down. It's weird that the Aurora Borealis look so much bigger, they're so much farther away. But, in reality, the sky is closer to us than the ocean (unless, of course, we are in the ocean) because we are standing in the sky all the time (unless, as I said, we are in the ocean).

Also, if you don't like Astral Weeks I probably don't like you, but I will make exceptions. I may drive fairly far to see Van the Man play that album live. I think its one of those things I will never ever regret, no matter what the cost.

No comments: