Wednesday, September 23, 2009

he ain't heavy

Six years ago today, my Brother died of a Heroin overdose. They found him in a McDonald's bathroom. That really sucks and none of us will ever be the same.

Awful things happen to all of us and we all do awful things to one another all the time and that's just part of being here. I think the most important part of being here is to learn to forgive ourselves and others for the awful things we've done and to learn to love others and ourselves in spite of and, maybe because of, what we've done. Not, "I love you because of what you did," but, "You did that awful thing and that other awful thing happened to you and I love you because we need that."

At some point we are all a burden on someone else and at some point someone is a burden on us, but we ain't heavy, we're our brothers?

P.S. The Kinks are awesome. I'm glad they wrote music.

No comments: