Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!



Technically, Fall doesn't start until 3:15pm today, but this morning its 46 degrees outside. I can see my breath. I think this is the first time this year. This time of year always makes me think of Football, which I might add is the greatest game ever played. I love it. There were times I loved it more than I loved anything else. I loved the feeling of practicing and collapsing at the end of windsprints because you had given everything. I loved the feeling of chasing some unsuspecting quarterback from behind and feeling him crumple underneath me. I loved the feeling of being the unsuspecting linebacker who gets hit from out of my blind spot so hard that my head hits the ground before my feet. I loved everything about it. I miss it. When you've loved something like that, it never totally goes away, and sometimes you still miss it, even years later. I love that I miss it. I am pretty sure a few too many hits and a few poorly lifted weights are responsible for my back problems, but it was absolutely worth it and I'd do it the same if I had it to do over again.

Another thought. Solitary sports are great. Its good to conquer things on your own. I liked wrestling for that reason and I can respect those who compete alone. But, the truth is, we are all in this together and we aren't alone and nobody is going anywhere after this whole shindig alone. We are going as families or not at all. That's another reason why team sports are actually better. Nothing is better than the feeling of accomplishing something or failing at something with those you love.

Also, don't you think Sean Astin looks a bit like Shane Atkinson? Who may or may not have walked on to BYU's football team only to quit once he got in the film program?

Also, Also, does anybody else feel compelled to chant "Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!" when Sam picks up Frodo at the end of those movies? I don't mind those movies, but Rudy is better. Watch it if you haven't. I want to inspire people the way it inspires me.

No comments: