Monday, February 1, 2010

Can't stand you 'cause your feet's too big

I'm waiting for various technological gadgets to sync with my computer machine and I was recently thinking about the following.  There are two deal breakers I have with a woman if I am interested in her.  One is having nasty (smelly, weird, overly long/skinny, crooked) feet.  The second is any use of the phrase "LOL" in a text/chat that is not at least partially ironic.  I hate it.  I imagine the feet one could be overcome and the truth is, it's only happened twice, but there is absolutely no overcoming the second deal breaker and I can think of four people off the top of my head who did that second thing in the last few weeks.   





Go ahead, rail against me for my shallowness.  I don't care.  But, everybody has something like that.  I once knew a girl who broke up with a boy because he confused werewolves and vampires and that particular girl is twice the person we are.

Also, just because I am shallow, doesn't mean I didn't cry and cry when I watched The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and maybe I still cry when I even think about it today.  And maybe I tried to watch it the other day for the first time in years, but lost my nerve a minute into the credits.  For any of you who don't know the story, Guy has to go to war for two years and that link is the scene where he tells her.

With time, I hope to be able to associate this with the song.  But, now that I think about it, it's kind of a sad story, too. Maybe it's also just too soon to make fun of the fact that we left Wall-E up there all alone and trapped in sand.  His only friend is on the other side of Mars and her battery is dying.  Nobody thinks she'll last another Martian winter.  Yeah, actually that's really sad.  They should fire those guys.

I think she should go and save him.  It would be like Wall-E and Rabbit Proof Fence and A.I. I wonder if that would make a good pitch.  

6 comments:

Haws Family said...

I agree that we all must have some strange shallow requirement. My two were no white puffy hands, and he must have zero interest in Harry Potter. While I didn't turn down any proposals... my man has both those qualities. Turns out that along with those two seemingly insignificant qualifications, he is everything else I was looking for, and even more that I didn't even know I needed. That is why we must have our way in those little things, right?

Elisa said...

One of my deal-breakers is not flossing. Which is tough because apparently, not very many dudes floss. Which is gross.

I hope that I was not one of those people who used LOL with you. I swear I only use it ironically.

Anonymous said...

My requirements are that he must not smell bad and he must not cross his legs like a girl. This can be remedied, however - it is very difficult to even consider putting in the effort to fix them.
I suppose mustaches rank up there too. I just can't kiss something that's dry and hairy (such as a mustached top lip)

Starman said...

Elisa,
I know your use is Ironic. I thin I am mostly talking about girl under the age of 22. What am I doing being attracted to girls that young? I dunno. But, it never lasts, because invariably an "LOL" is let loose.

Michelle,
I believe you are referring to "The French Tuck," which would rule out Clive Owen and Cary Grant... which I think you should reconsider.

Lisa B. said...

Saw this, thought of you:

http://www.theawl.com/2010/02/the-lolingest-picture-in-recent-media-history

Mmmmm, Clive Owen.

Little Lisa said...

You know, normally I would never listen to any music that closely resembles EFY music. In fact, many people from my mission remember me so well for my reaction to it: "EFY music makes me want to kill myself."

On one of the seminary CDs however, there is a song called "Godly Sorrow," which is a horrible song, horribly performed. But the main motif in it is identical to the theme from "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg," and when I listened to it, if I tried hard enough, I felt like I was watching the movie.

It was a good respite...haha..lol